Relegation-threatened Rayo Vallecano hires Jemez as coach
European Football Headlines
- Juventus' failure linked to Italy's 'catenaccio' past
- Asian soccer candidate files complaint about Kuwaiti sheikh
- Liverpool beats Porto again, returns to CL semifinals
- Hwang scores first MLS goal, Whitecaps beat LAFC 1-0
- Tottenham stuns Man City to reach Champions League semis
- Man United set for promotion to Women's Super League
- Lazio revives Champions League chances with win over Udinese
- PSG again fails to clinch title after losing 3-2 at Nantes
- Cyprus police investigates second-division match-fixing
- Man arrested by police investigating Barton incident
MADRID (AP) Rayo Vallecano has hired Paco Jemez as coach as it tries to escape the relegation zone in the Spanish league.
Jemez replaces Michel, who was let go on Tuesday with the team enduring a seven-game losing streak.
It will be Jemez's second stint with the Madrid club, which he also coached from 2012-16. He signed a contract until the end of the 2020 season. His previous clubs were Mexico's Cruz Azul and Spain's Las Palmas.
Rayo is second-to-last in the 20-team standings with 23 points, six from safety with 10 matches left.
Rayo is playing in the first division for the first time since the 2015-16 season.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 20, 2019