Relegation-threatened Rayo Vallecano hires Jemez as coach
European Football Headlines
- UEFA takes Mechelen out of Europa League for match-fixing
- Sturridge banned for 2 weeks for breaching betting rules
- Infantino rejects Blatter's criticism of African cleanup
- Palestinian soccer head loses appeal over Messi incitement
- FIFA claims progress in letting women attend games in Iran
- De Ligt completes 75 million euro transfer to Juventus
- Altidore, Pozuelo, Morgan score, Toronto TC beats New York
- Romario Williams scores in 90th, Crew tie Fire 2-2
- Fagundez, Gil, Bunbury in 8-minutes stretch for Revolution
- Martínez scores 2 goals, Atlanta blanks Houston 5-0
MADRID (AP) Rayo Vallecano has hired Paco Jemez as coach as it tries to escape the relegation zone in the Spanish league.
Jemez replaces Michel, who was let go on Tuesday with the team enduring a seven-game losing streak.
It will be Jemez's second stint with the Madrid club, which he also coached from 2012-16. He signed a contract until the end of the 2020 season. His previous clubs were Mexico's Cruz Azul and Spain's Las Palmas.
Rayo is second-to-last in the 20-team standings with 23 points, six from safety with 10 matches left.
Rayo is playing in the first division for the first time since the 2015-16 season.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 20, 2019