Marseille signs Balotelli from Nice until end of the season
European Football Headlines
- Man United defeats Chelsea, advances to FA Cup quarterfinals
- Athletic keeps momentum, beats Huesca 1-0 in Spanish league
- Pro Piacenza kicked out of Serie C after 20-0 loss
- Dortmund sees league lead shrink after 3rd consecutive draw
- Roma far from convincing in 2-1 win over Bologna in Serie A
- Apollon awarded win by Cyprus FA due to ineligible player
- EFL fines Leeds after Bielsa admits to spying on training
- Dortmund's Pulisic out with thigh injury from Tottenham loss
- Ex-Man United winger Nani joins Orlando City of MLS
- To take on Ronaldo, Atletico could unleash attacking trio
MARSEILLE, France (AP) Marseille has signed striker Mario Balotelli from French rival Nice until the end of the season.
The 28-year-old Italian was the top scorer for Nice over the past two seasons but failed to score in 10 league games this season and fell out of favor with coach Patrick Vieira.
Marseille did not give financial details. The southern French club had made Balotelli a priority signing during the off-season transfer window but the move fell through.
Marseille strikers Valere Germain and Kostas Mitroglou have struggled to score goals this season, meaning winger Florian Thauvin has often had to play as an emergency striker.
Balotelli has not played for Nice since Dec. 4. But could be put straight into the Marseille team for Friday's home game against second-place Lille.
Marseille is in seventh place and needs to finish third to enter the qualifying rounds for next season's Champions League.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 23, 2019